1. Sutts, Strosberg LLP is co-counsel in a proposed class action commenced at Toronto, Ontario against the Purdue group of companies on behalf of all persons in Canada who have been prescribed and have ingested OxyContin, a prescription opioid pain medication. For a list of the defendants and details of the claim, please click here.
2. The class action concerns an alleged conspiracy by the defendants to market and promote OxyContin in Canada as less addictive than the drug was known to be to the defendants, and for a wider range of patients and pain treatments than approved by Health Canada. In particular, it is alleged that the defendants conspired to conceal the addictive properties and effect of the drug from regulatory authorities, health practitioners and class members. The action also alleges that the defendants were negligent in the development, manufacture, distribution, marketing and sale of OxyContin.
3. The plaintiffs seek damages for conspiracy and negligence, and the right to waive the torts of conspiracy and negligence to instead require the defendants to account for all the revenue they received from the sale of OxyContin in Canada.
4. If you would like to speak to someone at Sutts, Strosberg LLP about this proposed class action, please call 800.229.5323, extension 8296.
5. To learn more about how a class action works, please click here.